How you can help
We need volunteers for all aspects of running birthday parties. It is important for our volunteers to understand that everything they do for us makes an equally important impact and that the needs of the children we serve come before anything else.
Regardless of how you choose to participate, your help will ensure that a homeless child experiences a joyful birthday. Here are the ways you can help:
- Donate to a party: The first week of every month we list all of our birthday parties on the Party Schedule page of our website. Sign up online to donate a gift, party supply, or bake a cake. Donations are dropped off at one of our Birthday Wishes offices or with the Party Coordinator. Donations are not dropped off at the shelter. Check out our Party Schedule and sign up now!
- Create a Birthday Box: Birthday boxes are created for children who live in ‘safe’ shelters, scattered sites, motels, and other programs which cannot accommodate Birthday Wishes volunteers. This allows the parents to have a party for their child in the safety and comfort of their residence. Visit our Birthday Box Guidelines to find out more.
- Host a Goody Bag Stuffing Party: Host a fun, team-building event with your friends, troop, colleagues or family. We will provide you with easy guidelines to hold a goody bag stuffing party in the comfort of your school, home or office. We are especially in need of goody bags for toddlers! Visit our Goody Bag Guidelines for more information.
- Volunteer Driver: We are always looking for volunteer drivers to help deliver birthday boxes to our shelters. This is an easy way to gain volunteer hours in your spare time!
- Fundraising and Supply Drives: Host a toy or party supply drive, car wash, or bake sale. Visit our Wish List to find out what your regional office needs most.
- Become a Party Coordinator: Volunteer to run one party a month at a shelter in your area. This position requires approximately 4-5 hours a month and responsibilities include emailing and coordinating with your shelter contact and party donors and volunteers, visiting one of our regional offices to pick up party supplies (if not donated online), and running the 60-90 minute party. This is a great opportunity for families, co-workers, scout troops, church groups, etc. Learn more about this unique volunteer position.
- Throw a Birthday Wishes Birthday Party: An impressively growing number of young people are choosing to support Birthday Wishes as the "theme" of their birthday parties. In lieu of gifts, have party guests bring in items from our Wish List. When you drop-off your donations, we will take a photograph of the birthday child for our e-newsletter. This is an activity which our future philanthropists can really relate to!
To learn more about Birthday Wishes volunteer opportunities, please contact Denell Nuese
Bring Birthday Wishes to your Community
We are excited and grateful that so many individuals and organizations share our enthusiasm for bringing the joy of a birthday party celebration to homeless children.
We are currently serving more than 20,000 children living in 200 homeless facilities primarily throughout Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Long Island, New York.
Our goal is to provide birthday parties to all homeless children in New England. If you represent an existing 501c3 nonprofit organization and would like to consider a partnership with Birthday Wishes, please contact Susan Haviland.
Corporate Volunteer Opportunities
Sponsor a Shelter
A $5,000 tax-deductible corporate donation will provide a monthly birthday party at a family shelter for an entire year.
Shelter sponsors are featured as a corporate partner in CandleLights, the Birthday Wishes e-newsletter, as well as on the Partners Page of our website and in our social media.
A shelter tour of the agency and opportunity to meet with shelter staff may be arranged.
Shelter sponsors are able to give their employees, and employees' families, the opportunity to volunteer at birthday parties on a monthly basis, quarterly, or as time permits. The number of volunteer slots available varies, depending on the size of the shelter.
In addition to sponsoring a shelter, there a number of other ways your company can support Birthday Wishes:
Contribute professional services such as Public Relations, financial expertise or printing.
Hold a Party Supply Drive. Our Wish List will let you know what we need most.
Participate in our signature fundraising event CakeWalk.
For more information on corporate programs, please contact Lisa Vasiloff.